- Are you at peace with yourself? Do you feel blessed by your family?
- Do you know someone who is brokenhearted?
- Every person needs the gift of blessing – the unconditional love and approval that comes from a healthy relationship with their parents.
In this updated version of their best selling classic “The Blessing” co-authors John Trent and Gary Smalley explore the answers to some important questions that every parent should know:
– Just what is this blessing in the Old Testament which seems so important and does it really apply to us today?
– What are the elements of a family blessing and how can I know whether I have received it or whether my children are experiencing it now?
This book highlights the five elements of the family blessing that God gave to His people and it explores the family traditions that developed within the Jewish community to put the blessing into practice.
It brings a fresh perspective on this life-changing gift with practical, powerful advice on how parents can provide a blessing to their children and how to ensure that your spouse, your parents and your extended family experience both family love and approval and God’s love and approval.
I recommend that new parents read this book while their firstborn child is still in the womb. In fact, it is the second most important book any new parent should read – right after the one that tells you what to expect during pregnancy! Read this book and then develop your family plan to become a blessing to your children from their first day forward.
I have spent my adult life in ministry restoring this blessing to children and adults who have grown up without it, who are brokenhearted, and as a result are isolated from God. Using true life examples, the authors also discuss the four most common home situations where a blessing has been denied and how to change this for the better in your life and in your family life.
This book is one of the top five (5) books that I recommend to parents. It’s for parents with children of all ages – it is never too late to learn how to provide a blessing to your children! It comes with my highest recommendation for parents, counselors and pastors.
“The Blessing” was originally published in 1986 and its latest update in 2011 has just been released by Thomas Nelson, Inc. It also has a companion workbook that provides practical assignments to incorporate “blessings” into your family relationships.